BIO5 Membership is a non-salaried, non-tenure eligible, faculty joint appointment within the BIO5 Institute. Members are interested in promoting the research mission of the University of Arizona. These appointments recognize, encourage, and advance collaboration between researchers in the life sciences at the UA.
The BIO5 Institute promotes excellence and collaboration among investigators and scholars in and beyond the five main bioscience disciplines: agriculture, bioengineering, biomedicine, pharmacy, and basic science.
- Recognition as a BIO5 Faculty Member
- Priority use of shared resources, equipment and services of the BIO5 Institute
- Marketing and communications support to help promote member research to an ever increasing audience
- Intellectual property (IP) and technology transfer assistance
- Technical assistance
- Opportunities to participate in Institute sponsored programs
- Interdisciplinary seed grants; assistance with the development of relationships between BIO5 members and external partners
- Heavily subsidized media facility located in the Keating building
- Event planning as appropriate
- Golf cart loans for campus transportation
- Opportunities to participate in collaborative research projects
- Influence in BIO5 initiatives
Membership requirements indicate that a member must be a faculty member with primary appointment(s) in the University of Arizona, or invited Designated Campus Colleagues holding active research appointments at the University of Arizona. Membership requires an active research program and commitment to interact with other University of Arizona scientists in multi- and interdisciplinary projects.
Members are expected to contribute to the education, research and service activities of the Institute. Activities may include: serving as a guest lecturer, presenting at seminars, mentoring, collaborative grant writing, conference participation, engagement in networking events and tours, and other efforts that support the activities and goals of BIO5. Membership also requires approval of the applying faculty member’s academic dean and home department head. Memberships are reviewed and renewed every three (3) years. If you have questions about BIO5, membership, or the application process please feel free to contact the BIO5 Membership Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.